**This is part 2 of a 4 part series. Click here to read part 1**
Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither was our chicken coop…it took 2 days. That’s right! It only took us 2 days to get our coop into a functional state. It may not be pretty on the outside (yet) but the chickens are all moved in.
After building all of the framing we got to work by putting OSB on the exterior walls.
With the new support of the walls, we were able to put our homemade trusses up.
Add some OSB to the roof and you’ve got yourself a coop!
We also added our door and windows. Menards was having a door sale, so we got one really cheap. We just bought utility windows, which are also relatively cheap. We used 1×6 lumber to cap off the ends of the trusses.
We put the roofing felt on and will put shingles up, but I will talk about that in part 3. We will also be boxing in the eves.
We didn’t want the chickens to roost on the window sills, so we made a frame with hardware cloth for the inside of the windows.
Next, we had to build a door that the chickens could use to get into the run. We built a guillotine style door that works with a pulley. It only took about an hour to build and works smoothly.
After that, the chickens just needed a roost to move in. With only a few 2x4s, we had a nice roost built in a matter of minutes.
Sadie approves, and she is sad she doesn’t have a cool house like the chickens do!
It will probably be a while before we get the roofing and siding on. We are planning on using left over siding from the house, so we will have to wait until that is done. As soon as we have more to update, I will write Part 3 of our chicken coop adventure.
Please follow and like us: