Month: May 2013
We are having quite an adventure with our meat chickens. They are already 4 weeks old and only have a couple weeks to go. They are growing fast and running out of room in their brooder. Thankfully, it has been beautiful out and they can start living outside. I drew up some plans for a coop that is quite simple. It consists of 4 corners, 4 panels, and a top made of hardware cloth and plywood. The coop is 2’x6’x8′ and fits 25 chickens.
40′ of 1/2″ Hardware Cloth
3 – 1×4
1 – 2×2
8 – 1×3
Plywood – 4′ x 6′
Next, we made the sides panels out of 1x3s and hardware cloth. The long side is 8′ and the short side is 6′. We spaced out the 1x3s 24 inches apart and stapled on the hardware cloth. The hardware cloth is stapled on the outside.
The best part of the coop is that we can move it around the yard so that the chickens don’t get too stinky and our new neighbors won’t hate us. For now, the coop is fully stocked and the chickens seem happier than ever.
Even though our neighbors still have snow in their lawn, ours is gone (for now at least)! That means we can finally start tackling some of our outdoor projects. We are saving up funds for siding and roofing right now, so our other projects will be rather minimal. However, today I learned that a little cash can go a long way when it comes to landscaping.
When we purchased the house, there were tons of red bricks in the backyard. I’m not sure what they were used for before, but they are working great for our new landscaping! We also had lilies that grow along the side of the house. While lilies aren’t my first choice, they are already here and are free, so they stay. All I needed was some landscaping sand, Hostas, and some mulch. It only took me one afternoon. What a transformation:
Once the lilies start to grow, the utilities won’t be so obvious. Hopefully our grass will start to green up a bit in the next couple of weeks too. We’ve had a late start on our outdoor projects, but since it’s finally starting to get nice, we should have a lot more coming. Thanks for reading!
We ordered 25 cornish cross chickens to raise for meat. Since we haven’t done much work on the upstairs yet, we built a brooder we could use in the house and then move outdoors later. We made the brooder almost completely from scraps, but it would be cheap and easy to buy the supplies.
You can add support on the inside of the box to secure the base if needed. (We added some 2×2 braces just in case). To finish off the brooder we built a cover out of 2x2s and chicken wire. We also put a 1×6 support down the center to staple the wire where we had a seam.
We put them into their new, cozy brooder and dipped their beaks into the water to get them started.
We are learning as we go, but everything has gone well so far. The chicks are darting around and chowing down food. We will definitely keep you updated on our new adventure! Thanks for reading!