Month: July 2015


Porch Windows


The porch has turned out to be a bigger project than I had originally hoped. I had big plans to reglaze the old windows because they open all the way up and are really neat. Unfortunately, we just don’t have the time. $300 later we have some great new vinyl windows.

Before:

image

After:

image

We had to build the windows in a bit because they didn’t make the exact size, but I’m kind of loving the bold trim.
After looking at it, I think the upstairs windows might need some shutters because they look pretty small next to the new porch windows.

I have also been busy priming and painting. I painted the porch a blue-grey color. The ceiling and floor will be white.

image

image

The color is lighter than it appears in pictures and really pops next to the white trim. I’ve got a bit more trim to do and I have to paint the floor, but we’re in the home stretch!

Thanks for reading!

Please follow and like us:

Starting the Porch


Yesterday was a big day for our porch. This room has been almost unchanged since we bought the house in 2011. We put in new windows on the side walls but the tongue and groove paneling looked terrible.

image

The front wall looks good because we kept the original windows, and the ceiling is good. The front of the house/living room wall was in rough shape because is new windows too.

image

We decided to put siding on the main wall and new paneling on the side walls. We aren’t completely done, but here’s a peak at the in progress photos:

image

image

I also got started grouting the fireplace.

image

We have a long weekend ahead of us trying to finish up projects between work events I have to attend, but we are making awesome progress! Thanks for reading!

Please follow and like us:

Building a Chicken Coop: Part 4


Chicken Coop

**This is part 4 of a 4 part series.  Start at Part 1, or catch up with Part 2 and Part 3**

It has taken me a long time to come back and finish this series, but here it is! Part 4 will include what finishes we added to the coop and what we learned.  Since we have recently moved and are designing/building a new coop we have a lot to look back on.

We added a door to the chicken run for us to use (which helped Ryan so he didn’t have to crawl through the 12″x12″ chicken door to shovel.  It was a simple project using welded wire and 1x4s.  You can see the tutorial here.

We installed vinyl siding to the coop that matches the garage and house.  In this case, we wanted the coop to be multi-functional in case someone without chickens buys our house.  It can easily be used as a garden shed or as a dog run. We had extra siding anyways and it matches really nicely.

Chicken Coop Siding

We also matched the roofing to our garage and house.  Black shingles are always a safe bet, but are a bit expensive.  Again, we wanted this to be a nice shed that added value to our property so we went with higher quality materials.

Chicken Coop Exterior

What We Learned:

Our biggest mistake was only putting hardware cloth a few feet up on the run.  We get so much snow, that a weasel was able to make it into our run through the welded wire a few feet up.  We were lucky that we only lost one chicken and were able to trap the weasel quickly.

We spent a lot of money on this coop.  In total, it was over $1,000 to complete it.  While I think it will add a lot of value to our home and lot, we won’t spend that much next time.  Overall, it was totally worth it.  There really is nothing quite like fresh eggs.

Eggs

The nest boxes work great.  We added curtains to them and the hinged top was awesome.  On our next coop, we will install these same nest boxes to the outside so we do not have to enter the coop to collect eggs.  Again, we wanted this to be a possible shed, so we didn’t want to have holes in the exterior for nest boxes.  We were able to easily remove them and take them with us.

Nest Box Curtains

My biggest piece of advice: always build a bigger coop than you need.  The chickens will love the extra space and you will more than likely end up with more chickens than you plan on anyways.

I hope you enjoyed this series! Thank you for reading! We will soon have more updates on our new coops, including our duck coop plans.  Check back soon!

Please follow and like us:

Fast Forward


We are in crunch time to finish our first house and get it on the market. I have been terrible with updating the blog, but today I will catch you up!

We have been going to town finishing trim. Ryan and my dad have been working hard on the window jambs and door trim.

image

image

image

Meanwhile, I have been working on baseboards, crown molding, and drywall. The pantry drywall is mudded and that room is almost done.

image

We still need to prime and paint the trim, but I have done most of the caulking done. What a difference!

image

Before listing we still have to finish the porch, stairway, and upstairs bath. Our goal is August 1st. Wish us luck! We’re going to need it. Thanks for reading!

(Sorry if pictures are big, I wrote this on mobile and it doesn’t resize.)

Please follow and like us:

Please follow & like us!

RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Facebook
Pinterest
Pinterest
Instagram