Month: November 2013
On Saturday, we received half an inch of rain, which isn’t great weather when you are planning on roofing. We’ve learned to roll with the punches, so we made our way inside and began the messiest job yet. Fortunately, this wasn’t a job I was able to help with. Ryan and Dad agreed, this was the worst job so far.
Warning: If you ever decide to tear down plaster and slats in a house you are living in, be prepared to have dust everywhere. It doesn’t matter how well you seal off that area, it will get into everything.
With the bright pink wallpaper, it just wasn’t doing our house much justice. Besides the looks, we also had a major ice problem on this wall last winter and we suspected that there wasn’t any insulation in the stairway. We had some huge icicles which resulted in water running underneath our siding.
Now comes the mess! After tearing out a lot of slat walls, we have discovered that you should scrape the plaster off first and deal with the slats later. If you pull at the slats while the plaster is still on, you will have a much bigger mess.
In case you were wondering, this is what a stairway looks like when you tear down all of the plaster on the walls:
In the past, we bagged plaster into garbage bags and brought it to the dump that way. This time, the guys just shoveled it into a wheel-barrel and put it directly onto the trailer going to the dump. I can’t tell you how much money we have saved because we haven’t rented a dumpster. It’s a bit more work, but has really paid off.
(Another lesson learned: it is very hard to take good pictures with this much dust in the air!)
After that mess, it looks much better, and we can start thinking about drywall (another messy job).
On the bright side, we found out why we had such an ice problem. The ceiling in the stairway in on an angle because of the roof. That area didn’t have any insulation, so heat was traveling up the stairway and right out the roof! The rest of the attic is well insulated, so adding insulation here should make a big difference.
We were also able to work on the chicken run this weekend, so I’m hoping I can post Part 3 of my chicken coop series later this week, so check back soon! Thanks for reading!
I have been slacking when it comes to keeping up the blog, but we’ve been working hard! I’ve got some catching up to do, so I will start with our roofing project. We have a unique roof line on the back of our house due to various additions. Besides that, we have a typical Upper Michigan roof, so it is very steep over the kitchen.
We also have 2 valleys that had some ice problems last year. They were lined with tin, but it wasn’t quite doing the trick. We laid down water and ice shield, and then we used a weave pattern with the shingles. Hopefully this will prevent any water issues this year.
We had to brainstorm quite a bit about how to reach the top portion of the roof. Finally, we decided to risk Ryan and sent him to the peak. (Don’t mind that awesome siding job. It’s a work in progress.)
Unfortunately, we still have to do the steep side over the kitchen door. It’s going to be a tricky job, especially with the snow that is sitting on it. Hopefully we will get some temps above freezing this weekend and get a chance to finish the job!
Thanks for reading! I will update more soon!