Month: August 2013
**This is part 2 of a 4 part series. Click here to read part 1**
Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither was our chicken coop…it took 2 days. That’s right! It only took us 2 days to get our coop into a functional state. It may not be pretty on the outside (yet) but the chickens are all moved in.
We also added our door and windows. Menards was having a door sale, so we got one really cheap. We just bought utility windows, which are also relatively cheap. We used 1×6 lumber to cap off the ends of the trusses.
It will probably be a while before we get the roofing and siding on. We are planning on using left over siding from the house, so we will have to wait until that is done. As soon as we have more to update, I will write Part 3 of our chicken coop adventure.
We worked very hard this weekend building our chicken coop! I spent a lot of time designing this coop and wanted it to be perfect. I did a lot of research and drew up my plans for a coop that could be used as a garden shed if we/future owners didn’t have chickens.
We did a lot of work and have a bit more to do, so I am going to break this into 4 blog posts. We have not put siding or roofing on or built the run, so those posts will come later. This is how it stands today:
In the last post about our chicken coop, I wrote a little bit about our major considerations. With that in mind, let’s get started!
After a lot of research online, I discovered that the vinyl should be put on before the walls are put up. We got a glueless vinyl so all we had to do was lay it down! Then we were able to start building the framing.
I also did a bit of research to see how to make trusses (because I had no idea where to start). I found this YouTube video that I used in my design: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfs4rxBeyK0
After some intense geometry, we got 10 identical trusses.
Now that the framing is all done, we can start putting up the OSB walls. Check back for Part 2!
Today we are getting ready to build a coop for our chickens. Although I recommend building a coop before your chickens arrive, we have done just fine until now by keeping them in a large outdoor dog kennel. However, we live in town and do not have many chicken predators around. Since we need a place for our chickens to nest and roost, the definitely need a coop soon (and hopefully we won’t look like such rednecks anymore).
Our plan is to build a large garden shed that will be used as a coop. When we sell our house, it can be used even if the next owners do not want chickens. The shed will be 12’x8′ and will have a full sized entry door. Here are some things we took into consideration:
1. Chickens need about 4 square feet each inside the coop. Since we have 16 chickens, that would mean making a 64 square foot shed. Ours will be 96 square feet (just in case I want to add a few to my bunch).
2. Linoleum flooring (which will be installed before the walls are put up) is easy to clean and should cover most surfaces.
3. Ventilation is extremely important and helps keep your chickens safe in the cold winters as well. We will have vents and windows installed for this purpose.
4. We want a fixed foundation, but do not want it raised so that predators/nuisance animals can get under it. For this purpose, we are putting down a gravel pad for our foundation to rest on. This will also help with drainage.
5. I designed the interior of the coop around the nest boxes and roosting sites. We will have one nest box for every 4 chickens and plenty of room for roosting (they require 8-10″ each).
6. We really want the coop to look nice without costing a lot of money. I will go into details of our supplies in another post, but the coop will have the same siding as the house and will match the garage.
We have just as much gravel left, and we will work on creating a level area when we start building our treated foundation. Tomorrow we will start the building process, so check back for an update soon!
Over the last couple of weeks we have been trying to prepare for siding. We had a couple of windows left to replace before we could move forward. We finally have all of our new windows in and most of the house wrap is on!
That just screams “energy efficiency!” They definitely had to go, so we bought some new vinyl Jeld-Wen windows from Menards that are energy efficient. From the back of the house, they look like this now:
They are small windows, but it still lets in a lot of light because the spaces are small.
One of our favorite features of the house was the porch windows. They swing open into the porch and can be screened in from the outside. You can not buy windows that open all the way anymore (at least from what we could find). Unfortunately, the previous owners did not take very good care of these windows. We had three original windows, but had to sacrifice one for parts to fix the other two. That meant that the front two could remain the same, but the sides of the porch had to be replaced. We found some nice windows that slide side to side and have the same grid pattern. Although they definitely look newer and smaller, it was the best compromise we could come up with.
We also added a window at the bottom of the stairs where there hadn’t been any window before. It was quite the project (so I hear) but was so worth it. The amount of light that is let into our living room has doubled and the stairway is so much brighter.
We matched this window to the size of the guest room window that was on the same exterior wall. The additional window also makes the side of the house look less like a blank canvas. (I am not a huge fan of exterior walls with no windows).
Now that all of the windows are installed, we can start moving forward with the house wrap tape. Every day we get a little closer to siding the house, which we didn’t think could get done before next summer.